How To Get Glowing Skin For Summer
Like a butterfly emerging from it’s wintery cocoon, it’s time for us to shed our dull skin and step towards the sunshine! At Beauty Base we have an abundance of skincare products that can help you achieve glowing skin for summer, and in this post we’re taking a look at ways to get that perfect skin we all seek.
Treat your skin from the inside out
A good place to start when beginning a skin glowing regime is to take a hard look at your current diet. See if it is missing any vital food groups (hello veg!) or if you’ve been hitting the refined sugar a little too hard over the chillier months to get you through the dull days. An off-balance diet can affect your skin a lot more than you realise!
4 ways to improve your skin through diet:
- Aim for 5-a-day (or near enough) – Replace sugary snacks with fruit, and ensure you’re eating a portion of veg with lunch and dinner to get your nutrients into your everyday diet. Many fruits offer antioxidant properties, such as blueberries, cherries, kidney beans and even dark chocolate! Your skin will benefit immensely from this injection of ‘good stuff’, trust us.
- Drink more water – You’re probably sick of hearing this as it’s age-old advice, but there’s certainly truth in it! Our bodies are made up of 70% water, so when we are dehydrated it can show through dry, rough or dull skin. Teas, smoothies, and just plain old water will work wonders in terms of rehydration so make sure you’re drinking enough throughout the day.
- Eat more whole grains – Opt for whole wheat bread and pasta to cut down further on refined sugar, and snack on vitamin rich nuts. It’s all about making healthier choices.
- Avoid too much sugar – Your beloved sweets and favourite chocolate can cause breakouts and lead to very unhappy skin indeed, so it’s best to cut down on your sugar consumption this summer to aid a clearer complexion.
If you’ve still got some pesky pimples threatening to ruin your flawless skin dreams for summer, have no fear! We stock some of the best concealers for spots and blemishes here at Beauty Base. The Milani Retouch + Erase Concealer instantly erases the appearance of blemishes and dark circles through it’s light infused technology to blur any troublesome areas. Pair with the Milani 2-in-1 Conceal + Perfect Foundation for a high coverage look. LA Colors offer some colour correcting concealers which can be used to cover red areas such as the LA Colors CoverUp Pro Concealer Stick which works wonders to conceal imperfections.
It’s all in the prep
A fantastic way to brighten up the skin and give it some life after hiding through the rainy seasons is to exfoliate the skin and rehydrate by moisturising. There are several simple ways to wake up your skin in time for holiday season:
Body brushing – This is an excellent skin toning exercise that encourages blood circulation in the body. Using a bristle body brush, simply brush in circles on the thighs, upper arms and wherever else you’d like some smoothing. Body brushing is a good place to start your body prep.
Exfoliating – Get an exfoliating scrub to do the work for you! We love the Ayumi Coconut & Jasmine Body Scrub which helps in the growth of fresh skin by smoothly exfoliating away dead skin cells for a deep cleanse.
Moisturising – Perhaps the most important step in body prep! Invest in a rich body moisturising cream to be applied after after showering to lock in hydration. Bestselling brand Palmer’s have a range of body lotions and body oils that are ideal for replenishing the skin following a good exfoliation session.
Use all three steps together twice a week (moisturise daily if you can) for beautiful skin in no time!
Fake it til you make it!
Get a helping hand with your summer tan with a self tanning product. There are so many DIY self-tanning products on the market, from gradual tans to tanning mousses, not to mention professional spray tans, which can all give the sun kissed illusion you’re after. Look for self tanning products that also moisturise your skin for a double benefit.
Here are a few tips on how to apply fake tan:
- Exfoliate with a gentle body scrub beforehand so the tan doesn’t cling to dry or dead skin cells – this also allows a smoother application.
- Use a self tanning mitt to save your hands from getting that tell-tale orange hue, and to achieve a well blended finish.
- Start from the neck and work your way down the body so your feet are last to be covered in the product.
- Take extra care on the areas of your body that tend to get dry skin, such as elbows, knees and ankles.
If you’re using a fake tan on your face, there are many self tanning products formulated especially for the face. Or rely on a good bronzer from beauty brands such as Milani or W7 for a temporary glow.
How do you fake tan your hands? Easy – wash hands first then use the residual product from your body and pat with hands.
When sunbathing this summer, always remember to apply an SPF to prevent skin damage. The sunburnt look is definitely not in this season!
Don’t forget your feet!
With endless opportunities to wear sandals and open toe shoes, summer is prime time for your feet to get some loving. Buff away dead skin on the heels using a foot scrub and foot file then pop on a nourishing peppermint foot cream for ultimate softness. Do this overnight so the moisturising cream has ample time to work. Next, treat yourself to a pedicure! Whether it’s a professional pedicure or a simple DIY job, painting your toe nails a pretty coral, baby pink or light blue is just what they need to get ready to be seen this summertime.
Your Beauty Base kit for summer ready feet includes:
- W7 Dream Pedi Electronic Foot File – This clever electronic foot file device works by buffing away at the surface build up of dry skin on the feet, enabling the following products to work even better!
- Himalaya Herbals Smoothing Foot Scrub – Not only does this foot scrub smell divine with the fusion of tropical pineapple and coconut, but the tiny walnut pieces will gently scrub away dead skin to leave smoother feeling feet.
- Bio Balance Cracked Heel & Foot Balm – The ideal product to complete a foot treatment, this foot balm repairs, softens and hydrates the feet with super nourishing Argan oil. Your summer sandals are calling!
Now is the perfect time to think about how to get flawless and glowing skin in time for your summer holiday. Use our helpful tips on exfoliating, moisturising and looking your body, and check out our complete skincare range here at Beauty Base for more products that will help you achieve beautiful skin this summer.